Time’s Eagle

Captain’s personal log, Stardate 51722.9: We have just ended our 90-day front line rotation, and have arrived at Deep Space Nine for crew rest and re-supply.

This crew has it’s recreational activities. This ship contains a high number of female crew members, especially when it comes to the bridge officers and senior staff. I’m not bothered by it, in fact, I’m a little more comfortable with women than I am with men sometimes. Quite a few crew members have experience in dance and have been working on some of the late 20th Century dance routines that we found in the time capsule. I thought I would help them out with new dance outfits.

“Here is the general design for the outfits I need.”

“This is a unique design if I do say so myself,” the Cardassian tailor said, “May I ask what they are for?”

“They’re dance outfits, Mr. Garak,” Patrick replied, “They are designed to fit comfortably around the dancer’s body while they are performing, so they don’t trip over themselves during a routine. I need these custom fit for each person. I’ll have them come for measuring at your convenience.”

“I’ll be most glad to handle this order for you, Mr. Ingrum,” Garak replied.

“Thank you, Garak,” Patrick said as he left the shop.


Upon arrival on his bridge, Patrick turned to his first officer, “I just talked to Garek, he’ll work on your outfits, but you’ll have to go to his shop go so he can measure you.”

“Understood,” Reinette replied as the turbolift opened, revealing two men dressed in black. “May I help you?”

“We’re here to see Captain Ingrum.”

“You’ve found him,” Patrick replied, “And you are?”

“My name’s Dulmer and this is Lucsly. We’re from the department of Temporal investigations.”

“What seems to be the trouble?”

“We’ve detected an unusual amount of chroniton activity along the Neutral Zone.”

“What’s so unusual about that that brings you here.”

“The activity is focused in a small region. We doubt it is coming from an errant cloaking device,”

“You think someone is traveling through time.”

“Yes, we do.”

“Do you have any leads on where — or when these time travelers went?”

“Starfleet Intelligence has provided us with some intercepted subspace messages.”

“Let’s have a look,” Patrick said, leading to an unoccupied station.

“This was picked up by a listening outpost at on stardate 51719. Twenty minutes later, we detected a high concentration of chronometric activity in a nearby nebula.”

“Let’s see the coordinates.” The Coordinates appeared on the viewer. “I assume this was encrypted.”

“Yes,”

“Looks like intelligence has done its homework. The number looks like a time — The other numbers appear to be in some sort of hexadecimal format. Computer, convert the numbers from Hex to Decimal — let’s try 3-2-2 on the top ones and 2-2-4 on the third.”

“Acknowledged,”

“Looks like October 29, 1999. The first one looks like a valid Earth grid, but the second one needs work. Computer, perform two’s complement negation on the first number of the second set and compare with Earth coordinates.”

The computer beeped before responding, “Tracing coordinates… Western Hemisphere… North American continent… the City of Olathe, Kansas.

“Computer, what was at that location in the late 20th Century.”

“At that location were lighted fields for the earth sports of baseball, soccer, and football.”

“Interesting,” Dulmer replied.

“No matter,” Patrick replied, “Reinette, notify DS9 we will be departing tomorrow, and find quarters for our guests,”

“Aye, Sir,”

“I’m going to see if I can recruit someone,”


“You want me to come with you on a mission into 20th Century Earth. Why?” Garak asked.

“One, we could use your intelligence expertise. Two, it would give you time to work on those dance outfits.”

“I see. I could use a change of atmosphere right now. I’ll take you up on that offer.”

“Good. Report to the Baldwin at 0800 tomorrow.”


“Karen, what’s our status.”

“The Engines have been rigged for time travel. We’ve modified the shields of Neosho and all the shuttlecraft so that 20th Century sensors don’t suspect anything.”

“Understood,” Patrick said as the door opened, “Mr. Garek, you’re 5 minutes early.”

“I prefer to be that way,” Garek replied.

“In that case, let’s go. Garek, please come with me to the bridge. Ingrum to the bridge, signal to DS9 that we’re ready to depart, and have our friends from Temporal Investigations report to the bridge. I’m on my way.”

Exiting the turbolift, Patrick took a seat in his Captain’s chair. “Reinette, status report.”

“We’re ready to depart.”

“Mr. Dulmer, have you ever had to travel through time.”

“No, I haven’t.”

“I haven’t either, but I’ve heard stories about it. Seal the airlock, release docking clamps, aft thrusters at one-quarter.”

“Acknowledged,” Kim replied as the Baldwin backed out of its docking port.

“Set a course away from major traffic areas,” Patrick followed as he pressed a button on his console engaging a attention whistle. “All hands, this is the captain. We are about to embark on a temporal corrections missions. Do not share the details of this mission with anyone off this ship unless I specifically order it. All hands, prepare for temporal displacement. Go to Red Alert.”

“We’re ready to open a temporal vortex,” Kim replied.

“Well, don’t just sit there, open one. Destination: Sector 001, October 29, 1999.”


“Kristy, what’s our status.”

“We’re in orbit around Earth. Astrometrics in progress.”

“JP, scan Olathe, and especially look for any non-human lifesigns or subspace signals.”

“Captain, I’ve got astrometrics. We’ve arrived on October 29, 1999. According to time broadcasts, it’s 1300 universial time.”

“Olathe is just waking up,” Patrick replied, “We need to find out what is on the plate at that location today. Who operates that sports complex.”

“The facility is operated by the Olathe public school district,” Kristy replied.

“I see no sign of any non-humans on the surface. If they’re here, they’re hiding well,” Jaimie added. I’ve accessed the computer network. According to the local newspaper, two of Olathe’s high schools are scheduled to play each other tonight at 1900 local time.”

“More than half the day ahead. Now, in order to handle the situation, we’ll have to go to the game. We’ll need money, and weapons are not allowed. We’ll also need a vehicle, and I’ll need some identification. Garek, I think you can handle the ID situation.”

“Of course,” Garek replied.

“Ingrum to Engineering. Karen, I’ll need somthing to get around the Kansas City area in.”

“I’ve got something on that that can help you. Could you meet us in Shuttlebay Two.”

“Understood,”

Patrick stepped into the shuttlebay, finding Karen already there. “What have you got.”

“I made a replication of and old earth automobile. I would like to note a few modifications. First, Bridget replaced the engine, transmission, and drivetrain parts with a small shuttlepod reactor and an electric drive motor. Second, we’ve concealed phaser strips along the bumpers.”

“Looks nice, Karen.”

Garek promptly entered the shuttlebay. Here are your Identification papers, your Drivers Licence, and a little something special you requested.”

“What’s that?” Karen asked.

“It’s a holo-imager that’s designed to look like a 20th Century film camera. I want to take a few pictures for our archives and for a record to send for Starfleet. Have Gloria, JP, Kim, Kristy and Dulmer meet me here in about an hour.”

“Aye, Captain,” Karen replied


An hour later, Patrick’s team assembled in the shuttle bay. “All right, we have $400. That should be more than enough to handle our needs, notably getting tickets into the game. Each of you will be issued a tricorder. For obvious reasons, try to keep it hidden. I’ve made these communicators in the shape of 20th Century cellular phones. Use the ‘Send’ and ‘End’ buttons to connect to anyone else.”

“So, what’s our objective?” Kim asked.

“If the Jem’Hadar are down there, they’re hiding well. We’re going to have to come down there and wait for them to come out and do whatever they are planning to do.”

“Do you have any clue on what they’re planning?”

“Considering the events up to this point in history, they will attempt to disrupt the game. The police will likely try to break it up. It took them too much time and took down too many men the last time they practiced, and that was with the weapons of this period. However, how they will do it specifically is up in the air. Until their objectives are clear, I don’t want to have anything to do with history.”


Hours later, the team reassembled in the shuttle bay. “The game begins in 90 minutes. We’ll beam down about 3 kilometers west and drive the rest of the way to the stadium.”

“Understood,” Gloria replied.

“Would you like shotgun, commander,” Patrick responded happily. “Everybody in, and fasten your seat belt.”

“All right, here’s the deal,” Patrick said as he drove away from the beam down site. “We have an unmarked box containing a mix of compression phasers and Jem’Hadar plasma rifles. We’ll leave them in the car until we need them. Kim, you’ll be the one to distribute the weapons if it becomes necessary.”

“Aye, sir,”


“I would like six tickets, please.”

“That will be $24.”

“Out of two twenties.”

“I hear this game is going to be exciting,” Kristy noted as she had her hand stamped.

“All Right. Everybody spread out and keep an eye on your tricorders.”

“Yes, sir,” the others responded.

Patrick stepped down from the stadium’s main platform and leaned against a chain link fence with a tricorder in his hand. “Most photographers I know face this way and take pictures of the game — or us.”

“All right, I’ll take your picture. I take it you’re a cheerleader with — don’t tell me — the Olathe North Eagles.”

“Actually, I’m a dancer.”

“I know a few girls who are in to dance myself. On a count a three — smile. A one, a two — a one, two, three.”

“Thanks,” the dancer replied. “By the way, what’s your name.”

“Patrick Ingrum, and your name?”

“Erika Green.”

“Nice meeting you, Erika,” Patrick replied as his phone rang. “Hello.”

“Captain, there is no sign of Dominion activity anywhere on Earth; however, I have picked up traces of tritanium scattered across Olathe — including one about 150 centimeters from your position.”

“Thanks, Reinette. Keep meinformed.”

“Excuse me,” Erika interrupted, “but I’m just curious. I heard a rumor that someone is planning to disrupt the game.”

“I’ve heard it. I’m sure the police can handle it,” Patrick replied. “Erika, what’s in that small blue bag.”

“That’s my bag. Just a change of clothes.”

“Tell me, did you happen to find anything unusual recently.”

“It’s strange that you mention that. I did find something strange this morning. It is in my bag. I’m not sure what it is or who it belongs to, but it looks like a stage prop.” Erika took out an item from her bag, revealing an all-too-familiar device.

“Erika!” another girl shouted.

“Looks like we’re ready to start cheering.”

“Okay,” Patrick replied as he dialed his cell phone. Everyone meet me behind the bleachers on the north side.


“There you go,” Garak said as he adjusted a dress. “Is that all right.”

“It fits me like a glove,” Reinette responded.

“I am curious, where did you find such an interesting design for a dance outfit.”

“It’s a style worn by some types of dancers in late 20th century Earth,”

“I see.”

“Do you think there is something wrong with the design, Garak.”

“It’s quite a departure from outfits that I have worked with before.”

“Have you ever worked with dance outfits before.”

“Not really. I took up my tailor shop full-time when I took residency on Deep Space Nine. Dancing on Cardassia, like most of our great arts, vanished like that when the military built up and sent may of our fine citizens into battle.”

“That’s too bad.”


“We’ve got some strange thing happening. A young woman with found a hand phaser.”

“How could this happen?” Dulmer asked.

“I don’t know,” Patrick replied. “All I know is that something has — or will — happen that apparently results in a ship scattering its remains into the stratosphere,” Patrick said as he pressed a few buttons on his cell phone.

Baldwin here, what’s up,”

“Reinette, have you been able to ID any of the tritanium fragments,”

“Bridget here, captain. We’ve found some identification marks. They appear to be the remains of USS Cairo. The remains are consistent with a ship of her class.

“Thank you, Bridget. The game is about to start. If we need any help, we’ll call you.”

“Understood. Baldwin out.”

“Well?” Gloria replied.

Cairo,” Patrick responded.

“That’s quite a ship for a invasion of history.”

“I know. The game is starting. Everyone, assume positions.”


The game started with little fanfare. Patrick brought a PADD of football rules and used the cell phone to record a play by play of the game while standing at the top of the bleachers. “Offense is in a shotgun formation. The Quarterback comes back to throw. He’s throwing long down the right sideline — oh, it’s incomplete. Wait a minute, there is a flag on the play.” Immediately, someone on the far sidelines came out on the field. “Computer, pause recording,” Patrick said as he ran down the side steps. “Did everyone see that?”

A swarm of police officers came to stop the man. Several more men came and knocked the officers cold to the ground.

“For all of those men to be that strong, they would have to be genetically engineered,” Gloria remarked.

“Or they could just be Jem’Hadar,” Patrick responded. “Everyone, start your tricorders.”

“Understood,”

“I’m still reading those men as human,” Kim replied. One officer managed to get up and go after the man in the middle of the field with sidearm drawn. The man, however, just took his gun and twisted the barrel, then grabbed the officer by the neck and slammed him hard onto the ground.

“Guys, if they can choke slam someone like that, we’ll need to keep our distance. Kim, stand by at the van.”

“Aye, sir.”

Patrick turned to Erika, “Looks like your rumor was correct. And if they’re capable of something like that, I’d be very worried. I suggest that you ladies stick together.”

“That’s a no-brainier.”

“And Erika, I’d keep your bag close by. That ‘prop’ is more special than you think.”

Replete in riot gear, the police charged against the men, shooting at them with their handguns. “Captain,” Jaimie said, “I’m getting a reading.”

“Let’s hear about it.”

“Every bullet the officers are firing bounce off of those men — and I put the term loosely, but the shielding is also how they are hiding their identity from our tricorders. I’m reading very faint Jem’Hadar signs now.”

The police, knowing that firing bullets are futile, had no choice but to stall the solders out until they could supply reinforcements. One officer came forward, hands in the air. “All right, what do you want.”

“I wish to make an announcement to this audience,” the lead Jem’Hadar blared.

“Please follow me to the press box,” the officer replied.

The Jem’Hadar followed the officer to the press box. “Ladies and gentlemen,” the Jem’Hadar blared over the PA system, “If you wish to be let out of here in one piece, we request your immediate and unconditional surrender to us and cease all sporting activities. If you refuse, we shall begin to eliminate the officials, the coaches, players, cheerleaders, and administrators. You have 15 minutes to comply with our instructions. Just to show you we’re serious — we will eliminate the head official. Second, you know what to do.

The second immediately grabbed the referee. “You — stand right there. Fire.” The Jem’Hadar pointed their weapons at the referee and fired, vaporizing the referee immediately. All the players, coaches, and remaining officials were rounded up and placed along the west sidelines.

“Kim, bring out our weapons. Regroup behind the visitor’s stands.”

“Yes, sir.”

“Erika,” Patrick said, “you know that ‘prop’ in your bag. Could you please get it out.”

“All right,” she said as she pulled out the object.

“I’m going to let you in on a dirty secret. I knew that these men — and I use the term loosely — were coming, but I didn’t know specifically what they were going to do — only that it involved this game. Now that they have decided to open fire on a defenseless referee and brutalize essentially helpless police officers, I have to put a stop to them.”

“I take it all nonviolent approaches have failed?”

“These guys are all about lethal violence. This device is a sophisticated hand weapon. Aim it like so and press this button. A burst of energy will bolt from it, causing havoc for them, although I’m not sure how much. Use if if they come after you, while we make sure that no one else gets hurt — except for the bad guys.”

“I gotcha,” Erika replied, somewhat cheered up.


“Here’s your phaser, Kristy,” Kim said as she issued Kristy her sidearm.

“Thanks. I wish I didn’t have to use one of these things.”

“You’re not alone, but life in Starfleet isn’t that easy,” Kim replied as she activated her cell phone, “Captain, we have everybody.”

“Good,” Patrick said. “Prepare to fire on my command.”

“Time’s up,” the lead Jem’Hadar blared. “Second, eliminate the next official.”

“Ready,” Patrick noted.

“Aim,” the Second blared.

“Fire!” Phaser bursts struck dead on to the Jem’Hadar, carefully avoiding bystanders. “Their field is starting to buckle,” Patrick commented.

The Jem’Hadar were not so willing to give up. The second aimed his rifle at Patrick. Patrick carefully attempted to move away from the spectators, but the shot nearly nicked the cheerleaders before melting part of the fence.

“Everybody, get under the stands,” Patrick blared. “We can’t offer you protection in the middle of a warzone.”

Most of the spectators had gone below, but a few stayed. “I’m not too bad with the camera myself,” Erika said. “I can take pictures while you’re making monkey meat out of them.”

“I don’t think that would —,”

“Quite frankly, I don’t care. As far as I’m concerned, It’s time to take back our town from the likes of these creeps.”

“Easier said than done,” Patrick replied as he handed over the camera, “But if you insist—just keep that sidearm ready.” Patrick then started on his cell phone, “There’s no ‘safe spot’ in this stadium where we can hide and still shoot them down. We’ll have to try a running assault. Any volunteers,” Patrick paused for a few seconds, “All right, I’ll be the fool. Everyone cover me, please.”

“Be Careful,” Gloria replied.

“I will,” Patrick said, “On three. One, two, three.” Patrick charged for the Jem’Hadar group, firing his phaser rifle continuously while the rest laid down covering fire. The Jem’Hadar were not fazed. They tried to fire on every crew member, but the crew, including Patrick, managed to avoid the Jem’Hadar weapons.

“Stop right there,” the second ordered.

“Who, me?” Patrick replied.

“Tell your crew to cease fire, or I’ll kill you where you stand.”

“Ingrum to all hands,” Patrick paused, “open fire on the Jem’Hadar in front of me,” The crew did as ordered. The combined blasts of the five phaser rifles vaporized the Jem’Hadar. Patrick pointed his phaser at the remaining solders. “All right, who wants to be next?”

The Jem’Hadar were not impressed, and drew their rifles. Patrick immediately fired his phaser at the Third. With the solders too distracted, the football players took the advantage — a small sea of blue and white jerseys dog piled themselves onto the Jem’Hadar. Even with their superior strength, their shear numbers outmatched them. When the dust cleared, the Jem’Hadar were on the ground, and the football players had their plasma rifles.

“You may as well eliminate them now,” Patrick commented, “That’s what they normally do when they lose.” Patrick had pointed his phaser at the Jem’Hadar. As Patrick pulled the trigger, so to did the football players with the plasma rifles. Patrick’s phone subsequently rang, “Patrick here,”

“Captain,” Reinette said, “We have been monitoring your activities and major Earth communications,”

“And,” Patrick replied.

“It’s not good,” Karen said. “We’ve been able to decode the shielding the Dominion have been using.”

“That doesn’t sound too bad to me.”

“There are about a thousand Jem’Hadar coming in from your south.”

“How far to the south,”

“Looks like they’re just outside the town of Paola.”

“Also,” Garak added, “Military troops from the US Army have been dispatched and on their way.”

“For the Army, that would be suicide. The Jem’Hadar are stronger and more numerous. Do we have enough time to evacuate the place?”

“I think so, but you better get to work on it.”

“Understood, Ingrum out. All hands, let’s try to get some of these people out of here before it becomes a war zone.” Patrick promptly approached the coaches and officials. “I think it would be a good idea to postpone this game until tomorrow and get as many people out of here quickly. I have it on good word more of those goons are on the way, and trust me, It’s gonna be war.”

The players approached Patrick, “I take it that they would be just like these guys,” one of them said.

“Yes, only many more of them,”

“In that case,” another replied, “we want to stay and help you kick their butts.”

“I appreciate the sentiment, but I don’t think that it is advisable. The situation poses a high risk that you get killed. This isn’t football. This is my war, not yours. I’m responsible for rounding them up.”

“You’re not going to be able to do that alone,” Erika commented. “I know you’ve got friends, but even they are not enough to win this battle of yours.

“She’s right,” a football player responded. “They have a better chance of winning if there aren’t that many to go against them.”

Patrick made a call, “Dulmer, I’ve got some kids that want a piece of the action. Any advice?”

“Right now,” Dulmer said, “I wouldn’t charge you with any temporal violations if you initiate a General Order 24.”

“That’s quite a bit of leeway. Thanks.” Patrick dialed another number. “Reinette, have Bridget and Roslyn send the Neosho down here in 45 minutes. And beam down another two cases of phasers and plasma rifles.”

“Aye, sir,” Reinette replied. “Bridget, Roslyn: prepare the Neosho for departure.”

“All right, so you guys wanna be soldiers,” Patrick said. “They you’re going to have to listen to me carefully and follow my orders to a T. No unnecessary heroics. Is that understood?”

“Yes, sir,” the players responded.

“Kim, Kristy: issue these young men new sidearms.” As Kim and Kristy handed the new recruits plasma rifles, Patrick started a small speech. “Here is the low down on the situation that we are now facing. A group of evil men from the future — called the Jem’Hadar — have declared war on my past — your present. They want to tear this world into Armageddon, and I’m here to stop them. You’re not here to die for your future — to borrow a line from Patton — you’re here to make the Jem’Hadar die for theirs. Each of you has been issued a copy of one of their plasma rifles. These are powerful, but it will still take several shots to take them out. Take your shots with care, but more importantly, listen to what I say. I’ve had more than my share of run-ins with the Jem’Hadar, and I know they won’t stop at anything in their quest for Victory. Be careful.”

“Patrick, I assume you’re a military officer in your time.”

“That’s correct, Erika. I’m the captain of the USS Baldwin.”

“Is that some sort of spaceship?”

“We call it a starship.”

“Rich, I just got a report. The Jem’Hadar are 25 minutes away.”

“Thank you Gloria. Erika, this is my second officer, Lieutenant Commander Gloria Dawson.”

“How do you do, commander?”

“Just fine, crewman.”


Patrick did his best to teach the football players how to properly handle the rifles. Every so often, one of the officers would give a report. The latest was good news. “We’ve cleared the stands of all non-essential personnel and we have also eliminated the first.”

“Where was he?”

“He held himself in the press box and was waiting for reinforcements.”

“Oh?”

Jaimie approached Patrick from behind. “The Army has positioned themselves on the highway heading to the north.”

“169 Highway, I take it,” Erika commented.

“We’ve also got a wave of Jem’Hadar troops coming from the south on 169 highway.”

“Face to face on the highway,” Patrick noted. Can we see what’s going on from our position?”

“The east stands have a clear shot of the highway,” Erika noted.

“Gloria, Kim: prep our new troops to engage the enemy. JP, Kristy, Dulmer, you’re with me.”

Patrick, Jaimie, Kristy, Dulmer, and Erika watched as the opposing armies approached each other in front of the stadium. Patrick’s phone rang. “Ingrum here.”

“Patrick, we’re coming in right behind you.”

Patrick looked up. “I see you. Stand by.”

An Army tank fired warning shells from its tanks. The Jem’Hadar troops fired a few rounds of plasma rifles, vaporizing every single tank shell.

“All right, Bridget, open fire on the Jem’Hadar.” Neosho‘s weapons array blared to life, eliminating some of the Jem’Hadar and causing the rest of them to fall back slight and start targeting the runabout. “You’re looking good, how are the shields holding.”

“Shields at 97 percent,” Roslyn responded.

“Try to cattle prod them our way. I’ve got a small army that want to, in the 20th Century vernacular, open a can of whoop-ass on the troops.”

“Understood.”

Patrick watched as the Jem’Hadar moved towards the stadium, with the Neosho laying down phaser fire and the troops responding in kind. As the Jem’Hadar approached the parking lot to the stadium, Patrick shouted down instructions. “Guys, they’re coming in close. Now’s your chance to kick ’em around. Head out into the parking lot and fire on the Jem’Hadar at will. Gloria, could you please lead them down.”

“What about the group that’s firing at them now? I don’t want to fire on them by mistake.”

“They’re up in the air. Stick to the the ground and you’ll be fine.” Patrick turned to his phone again, “Bridget, look out for the ones in numbered jerseys.”

“I gotcha,” Bridget answered.

“All right, everybody. On my call, fire at will. One, two — NOW!”

Burst of phaser and plamsa fire lit the ground and sky. Jem’Hadar started going down several at a time. “These guys won’t quit under any circumstances,” Patrick commented.

“Patrick, we need some help along the right side.”

“I’ve got the perfect idea. Retreat to the west stands.”

“Aye, sir.”

The ‘crew’ waited in the west bleachers whil Patrick ran to get his help. The football players were surprised at what it was. Patrick fired the minivan’s phasers at the Jem’Hadar troops. “Ingrum to Neosho, give me one QT, now. The runabout fired a quantum torpedo at the Jem’Hadar. The torpedo, combined with all of the damage done by the football players, left few Jem’Hadar left. Most of the rest were handled by the football team. With one Jem’Hadar standing, Patrick stepped out of the car and approached the last troop. “Delay of game,” Patrick said as he crossed his arms in front of his chest, “That’s gonna cost you.” Patrick immediately took his phaser and fired one shot at the last standing soldier.


“Ingrum to Neosho — is everything ready.”

“We’re ready to go when the final horn sounds.”

The time on the scoreboard finally reached zero, signaling the end of the game. Out of the looming clouds, the runabout dove over the stadium, creating an impressive sight for all in the stadium to see. “How’s this for a display,” Bridget said.

“Very good,” Patrick replied. “Erika, please congratulate your team for a job well done — on the field, and against the Jem’Hadar.”

“I’ll be certain to pass the word. I take it that you guys have to go.”

“That’s right.”

“Can I get copies of your photos before you leave.”

“I’ll see what I can do. Ingrum to Baldwin. Six people — and one minivan — to beam up.”